Recipe for Homemade Suet Cakes
1 1/2 cups lard or shortening (palm free)
3/4 cup peanut butter
3 1/2 cups bird seed
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup corn meal
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Melt lard and peanut butter.
- Pour over dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour or press into molds.
Use these cakes when the temperature is cold. Optional: chopped dried fruits and nuts can be added to the dry ingredients for an even tastier treat.
Recipe for Cranberry Cake-Pie from the Pioneer Woman
Makes 8-10 servings
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
2 heaping cups cranberries
3/4 cup pecans, chopped
1 2/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 kosher salt
Ice cream or freshly whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees. Butter a 9-inch cake pan or deep-dish pie pan. Add cranberries to bottom of pan. Sprinkle on the pecans, then sprinkle on 2/3 cup sugar.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl until lightly beaten. Into the eggs, whisk in the melted butter and almond extract. Gently stir in 1 cup sugar, the flour and salt until combined.
- Pour the batter slowly over the berries in large ribbons to evenly cover the surface. Spread to the edges if necessary.
- Bake until golden and toothpick inserted into the center of the cake part comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. About 5 minutes before removing from oven, sprinkle with the remaining 1 TBSP sugar for a little extra crunch.
- Cut the pie into wedges and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.