Cranberry Nut Bread
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup whole raw cranberries
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
½ cup orange juice
1 egg, slightly beaten
Heat oven to 325 degrees
- Grease a loaf pan.
- Sift flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda into a large bowl.
- Combine walnuts with cranberries in a small bowl; take ½ cup of the flour mixture and toss it with the cranberries and walnuts.
- Put oil in a measuring cup; fill with hot water to measure ¾ cup.
- Mix oil and water with orange peel and juice.
- Stir into the flour mixture with the egg.
- Gently stir in the cranberry-walnut mixture.
- Turn into a prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan to a wire cake rack. Let cool completely. Wrap in aluminum foil and store overnight before slicing.
Makes 1 loaf.