2 TBS butter
2 TBS olive oil
2 Cups onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
2 Tsp kosher salt
2 TBS flour
28 oz can tomatoes (including juice)
2 Cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 basil sprigs (1 tsp dried basil)
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan.
- Add two cups chopped onion, 3 smashed and peeled garlic cloves, and 2 teaspoons kosher salt.
- Cook stirring often until soft and golden 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour; cook 1 minute.
- Add a 28-ounce can of any kind of tomatoes—whole, diced or crushed—including juice,
2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth and 2 basil sprigs or 1 teaspoon dried basil.
- Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until tomatoes break down, about 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Puree in a blender until smooth, season with salt and pepper.
- Re-warm to serve.
TIP: When blending, place a dish towel on top of the blender pitcher and hold it in place to keep the top from coming off the pitcher.
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living, September 2018