Aunt Ruth’s Sugar Cookies
Preheat oven to 350° or less. I use 325°
3 cups sugar
2 cups lard
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp nutmeg pinch of salt
7 cups flour, divided
- Cream sugar and lard together.
- Add eggs and buttermilk to sugar mixture.
- Add baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and 6 cups flour—one cup at a time. All this can be done with a mixer. The last cup of flour needs to added by hand. You need enough flour to be able to roll the dough out.
- Roll to ¼ inch thick.
- Cut the dough in the shape of your choice with a large cookie cutter. For Christmas, I use a simple, large Wilton Christmas tree cutter.
- Place on cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart to bake.
- DO NOT grease cookie sheets.
- Put colored (green for trees) granulated sugar on each cookie.
- Bake in 325° oven for 8-10 minutes until bottoms are very lightly browned but tops are still white.
- Remove to racks to cool.
No decorating needed. This recipe makes very large bakery-type, soft sugar cookies. Enjoy.